Monday, October 10, 2011

Drinking Water: Bottled or From the Tap?


Drinking Water: Bottled or From the Tap?
Written by: Catherine Clarke Fox
Usually, people think that the easiest thing to do is just buy a plastic bottle or two when they are thirsty. But, plastic bottles are a really big pollution for our Earth. In the United States people buy a lot of plastic bottles: up to 29 million a year and only every 6th bottle is recycled. Using that much water bottles a million of cars can be kept going for 12 months. Plastic bottles are made of crude oil found deep underground. Imagine bottle filled up till a fourth of it; that is how much oil is needed to make a plastic bottle. People do not drink tap water anymore because they think bottled water is better but some scientists even think that the chemicals used to make a water bottle go into the water. Also, the government of USA makes sure that the tap water is clean. If only people realized how much pollution bottles make in the world maybe they would stop using them. But water bottles are very convenient so one way to solve this problem is recycling. From recycled plastic bottles a lot useful things can be made.

This article connects to what we are learning in science because in class we did a lot of experiments and most of them include a lot of plastic bottles so we need to learn to recycle them correctly. When I read this article because every day in a super market we see so much plastic bottles and there are not many recycling bins. I chose this article because I am very interested in ecological problems in the world and I maybe want to become an ecologist when I grow up. I found this article because when I was looking for interesting articles on http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/ I saw this article and I thought it is interesting. I know it came from a reliable resource because the magazine of National Geographic Kids in published all over the world. I agree with the author that we should not buy so much bottled water but if we do we should recycle all of them not throw them in the trash can. I felt really sad because I remembered how many ugly water bottles were in the Sava River when I walked next to its shore in spring. But also I felt persuaded to recycle all the water bottles which I drink from. Which is why now I will tell all my relatives to only recycle water bottles and not throw them in a trash can. 

2 comments:

  1. I did not know that people who drink water out of plastic bottles are not recycling them. This is a big waste of crude oil, I believe that people need to start drinking clean tap water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW i didnt know that, that many plastic bottles were not recycled i totally agree with you because i have seen many rivers with lots of plastic bottles in them and that makes me think how many more bottles are in these rivers or in oceans or lakes. I think that they should put lots of recycling bins out and that people will be reminded of recycling and that they have to do that. Also i think that schools should have a lesson on recycling because if you never learn it you wont teach anyone else which makes a even longer chain.

    ReplyDelete