Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fascinating New Frogs


Fascinating New Frogs
By Joe Levit
September 21st 2011        
A team of Indian Scientists have discovered 12 new kinds of night frogs in a rainforest in India. 3 of those species of frogs are particularly interesting because one of them can make a meowing sound, like a cat’s call. Also the 2nd kind of frog is interesting because another both female and male frogs watch over eggs and the third kind of frog can grow to the size of a baseball. Also beyond the 12 newly discovered species of frogs 3 kinds of frogs were rediscovered which means that scientists discovered them long ago and thought they went extinct. The discovery of these new species of frogs is important because in the past or even now no frog in India was observed for biological compound for future use in science (for example for a cure of a sickness).  A very famous biologist from Delhi University said “We first have to find the species, know them and protect them, so that we can study them for their clinical importance”. 32% of the known amphibians are endangered because of the Earth’s pollution because amphibians cannot live in a polluted environment.


This article connects to the unit that we are studying because in class we learned about qualitative and quantative observations and that is how scientists observe the frogs and that is important because observation is a very important thing in science. It is good for our society that scientists discover new animals because than we can help them and save them from extinction. I chose this article because it was interesting for me to learn what new animals are discovered and how scientists discover them. I found this article because I know http://www.timeforkids.com is good website because kid reporters write articles there, everyday and I looked at it and saw this good and interesting article.  I think it came from a reliable resource because Time for Kids is a website where kid reporters write and they include scientific information and statistics. I really learned many new things from this article for instance I did not know that a frog can meow or that frogs can be as big as baseballs. Also I learned that frogs are a really important indicator of changes in climate and pollution. I agree with the author because in the article he said that it is really important to discover new species of animals to help save frogs. When reading this article I felt happy that the scientists discovered new species of animals because it is really important for them. But, I felt sad that most of the people don’t care for small animals like frogs and don’t care if they go extinct but if at least one species goes extinct  our Earth will change a lot and that might cause a lot of changes and problems because on our planet everything is connected.

5 comments:

  1. cool! your cureent event was very detailed and interesting! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadia, you have done a great job on your current event. Like Nitita said it is very detailed and I enjoyed reading your style of writing. Keep up the good work, always including 2 paragraphs and the URL. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nadija
    I think the first part was facinating.
    The second part... Well I couldn't exactly read the hand writing...
    Sorry:)
    Well good job by the way!
    A new breed of frogs?
    Cool!
    I never got frogs interesting but because of the article, I think you made frogs interesting again for me Nadija!
    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your article was very good because you included a lot of details and you made it very interesting to read. I really enjoyed reading your article! Great job!

    Kaya
    Tutu

    ReplyDelete